Playful: A Pop-Up Participatory Public Art Event
Playful: Pop-Up Public Art at Spy Pond Park
Saturday, May 21, 2016, raindate Sunday, May 22
noon to 4 pm
Join Arlington Public Art for an afternoon of free participatory art activities inspired by themes of creativity, participation and play. We invite you to join us, learn about upcoming projects, and:
- Try your hand at chess using the Giant Chess Set – a unique game board originally made for Boston's First Night Festival. Artist John Tagiuri designed the pieces using repurposed duct work and fabricated the set with help from students at Somerville High School's Metal Shop; students in the Auto Body Shop painted it cherry red and cobalt blue.
- Make your own checkerboard -- to take home -- with artist Julia Roth
- Build a giant sculpture using Build-It discs on loan from the Boston Society of Architects
- Build a small sculpture using blocks and tinkertoys on loan from the Little Fox Shop at the Fox Library
- Make an animal mascot flag for the Fox Festival Parade (an event coming up on June 18 in Capitol Square) with artists from the Puppeteers Coop.